Tuesday 3 June 2014

KESHI MAKES VERY BOLD MOVES, GOES FOR UNKNOWNS OVER NATIONS UP HEROES IN NIGERIA'S WORLD CUP FINAL 23





Can't say I was jumping up with joy when Keshi finally released his final 23. I cannot and WILL NOT accept Ameobi in the team over Uzoenyi, Brown and Oduamadi...who are all much better players than he could ever be. I'm not sure what Keshi saw in Ameobi, and quite frankly, I think Keshi took a bold move...but also a safe move as well.






Uzoenyi was that wild card that every team should have. He would have been that home-based player that would throw off the opposition because he has NO European sense in him...it's coming straight from the fatherland. That is why I always say that every squad should be a good mix of home-based and abroad players to make things as varied and exciting in your squad.

You also have a guy like Oduamadi, AC Milan guy who I liked very much. If he had played the whole of that Uruguay match, Nigeria may have gotten more out of that game. He is a guy who you could use as that attacking midfielder or the more nimble and agile alternative to Emenike up front to again, make the defenders guessing.

I have talked a lot of about Ideye Brown and I hoped that my efforts in getting him back into the team would have helped, but they have fallen on deaf ears. It is a CATEGORICAL mistake NOT to take him. He was a VERY important player for Nigeria in the Nations Cup and looked effective in the Confederations Cup. The only criticism one would have was the amount of chances he would waste. But he would still GET THOSE chances...just a matter of laying it off to a more able finisher. Very bad more for him not to be taken.




It's pretty annoying when a player REJECTED his natural country to begin with, GETS REJECTED by the country of his "new" home, and somehow gets into a WORLD CUP where other players who have only ever given their allegiance to Nigeria and are BETTER players get dropped in favour of him. I am one of the biggest supporters of Keshi, but I have to come out and say that this is a bad move. You can't ALWAYS agree with someone that you respect and admire. But this was just a very unwise move to take Ameobi, whose best days are long gone. Can you tell me what thing of note he achieved with Newcastle this season?

You've got to support your team, and of course I will do that. But I can only try and be the analyst here and just say that some EXCEPTIONAL footballers were dropped in place of squad players who will have very little effect on a match. I suppose Keshi wants some stability with a few stars  and believes that will take Nigeria at LEAST past the group. But to beat Iran, Bosnia and do something against Argentina, you need as many wild cards, dribblers and confident footballers as possible....especially when you find yourselves a goal down and CHASING a game...who can you bring on to change things?


Discuss More on the Forum!!!

HH